Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Weebles Wobble

When I have a goal in mind, I am one of those Weebles that you can punch in the face 800 times and it still pops back up to smile at you. I just don't care that obstacles exist, and am at my best when planning the best way to render them irrelevant.

I know that impulsivity usually leads me, in my natural state, to bite off a billion times more than I should be able to chew. I also know that hyperfocus (when I'm working on a goal that I invented for myself) is often what gets me through once I have gotten myself into that deep end.

Generally, this isn't a horrible combo. I am working to modify it of course...but here's what I'm really thinking about.

Obstacles. I have had a surreal series of conversations lately where I end up sitting there listening to them talk about each and every obstacle that they place IN THEIR OWN WAY, while they blame the existence of each of these obstacles on other people.

I am basically of the feeling that most obstacles are only what you allow them to be. I think sometimes I confuse people with my seeming optimism...most accurately, I think they assume that I AM optimistic. It's not about optimism or pessimism, it's about the fact that I am motivated by the goal. Once I set my mind on a goal I work my ass toward it, and obstacles become a mere snack on the way to the finish line.

Yeah, yeah, there are some nasty obstacles out there that can make life pretty awful. Those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking about people when people use terms like "can't". The minute people say that to me the voice in my head responds "who do you think you are to tell me that".

Yes, I know...the me of last week was not a shining example of this...and to that I say, you're right, but when people are as stressed out as I am for the next little while...you'd blow a gasket over the small stuff from time to time too. That's the part where I pop back up after the punch in the face and start all over? Hit me as hard as you want...if you are between me and my goal, YOU will become an obstacle and...I don't say yes to those, but I will have a smile on my face when I pop back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment