Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ADHD Behind The Wheel

I really like driving, but I get bored easily with driving the same roads over and over. I have to stifle the urge, frequently, to just take a right or left and go all wingnut instead of staying on the most direct path. I also don't like sitting in traffic...this includes stoplights and stopsigns...so I will drive through a parking lot or just turn to go around a light before I get to it just to keep moving. This is not always efficient. I realize this.

Unfortunately, my most-traveled paths these days are laced with one-ways and other quirks that make leaving the beaten path too ridiculous an option to pursue. Sigh. The only redemption here is that I only live 3 minutes from work.

I used to go on fabulous, epic journeys on my way home, or on my way pretty much anywhere else. I have an extraordinarily accurate sense of direction, which has allowed me to enjoy rambling, instead of freaking out over being "lost". Very rarely have I ever been lost and I've never had to call for a bail out, I've self-corrected and made it to my destination. And I know enough to check my gas before going on one of these tangents, so I don't have to get out of the car to get gas in an unknown area.

I could be 30 miles from home and I would get off the highway and just drive. Makes traffic jams seem like not a big deal when you are driving around them. Keeps my brain happy and busy figuring out what to do next.
Ahhhhhh, freedom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi K,

    Ha! I am not the only one who likes to just drive and drive. I also have an excellent sense of direction and have never gotten lost. Reminds me of being a kid and wandering around in the forest. It didn't matter where or how far, I could always find my way home. I loved to just let my mind wander and as an adult I guess I do the same thing when I am driving. It seems rather therapeutic actually. Made me think of something else to write about :)

    Great post!

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah! I do love driving. Sadly, my sciatic nerve won't let me drive for hours anymore. but it's probably better for the environment...I still go for random night drives though :)

    ReplyDelete